This isn't Goodbye

            

After 26 club meetings, my presidential term of 2019/2020 in ITC Bintang Toastmasters Club has finally come to an end. 5 years ago, I paid my first visit to ITC Bintang at the Amoda building in Jalan Imbi without any expectation in mind. Knowing nobody in the club and nothing about Toastmasters, I was a quiet observer - sitting in a corner, greeted by warm and welcoming members who would explain to me the terminology used in a typical toastmasters club meeting. There were numerous questions circling my mind. Why are these guys busy jotting down notes in the meeting? Why there’s a timing light in the middle? Watching each speaker delivering their speeches in front of the big crowd in the room effortlessly, I was impressed and wondered if I could become one of them one day. 

The president at that time, Pam approached me and assured that everyone in the club are the same. Everyone practiced improving their speaking skills and eventually become a better speaker in the next club meeting. No one is born to be a great speaker. Her words gave me assurance to become a part of them. There’s voice telling me to sign up. I signed up as a member after 3 visits to ITC Bintang, a place which makes me feel welcomed like a family, and it turned out to be the best investment I have made in my life.  

Upon signing up, I was assigned a mentor immediately. Lian See, my assigned mentor, approached me and gave me a lot of useful advice in delivering my speeches. I remember sharing my ice breaker draft with her and she replied me with full of constructive comments. I learnt that the club cares for members, and really makes sure that the members are on the right track. At one point of time, I was wondering what’s with all these people, who are willing to take up extra roles and responsibilities in the club, and yet not getting paid at all? Lian See told me it’s not about money, but it’s all the valuable experience and knowledge that they have gained in the club, and now it’s her time to give back to the members by serving as a club exco. Back then, I didn’t know what that means. I took my own sweet time in the club, without realizing how the club has changed me.

I remember the days where I was still grasping my hands nervously, swaying my body left and right like an oscillating fan while giving speeches. I was very passive in my early years in the club. It took me 4 months to give my first speech in the club and 2 years to take up the Toastmasters of Evening role, the chair of a club meeting. As I was adoring the charismatic president who was giving opening messages in front of everyone, I never imagined I would be in that position one day. As time passed, I see how the club has changed me, from someone who have very low self-esteem and afraid to speak up, to someone who is able to deliver speeches confidently on stage. I know, it’s my time to give back to this club. Starting as a club Treasurer, I worked my way up to Vice President of Membership, Vice President of Education, and finally as President this term. Now, I am even the mentor of two new members. 

Indeed, taking up this role as a President isn’t comfortable at all. It was a steep learning curve in the past one year in which I struggled but learnt the most. I remember texting Eddy and Robin for help when I was running out of ideas for my opening speeches, but now I am having so much to share until I often run overtime during my session in the meeting (opss). It’s not easy to run a non-profit community club, but with a strong team and members as the backbone, it made everything possible. We are always backed by our veteran members and our dearest exco team whenever the club faces challenges. 

Looking back at what we have achieved and overcome in the past one year including the outbreak of Covid-19 which caught everyone off guard, it does not stop us from marching ahead. We have even successfully recruited 4 new members throughout this time of uncertainty. All these could not have been done without the support of a strong team and members of the club. 

As I was giving my last presidential opening speech last week, so many memories ran through my mind. The presence of my mentor Lian See (who is no longer a club member now) in the meeting made the last meeting even more meaningful.

ITC Bintang truly lives up to her name as a club which produces a lot of bintang speakers who shine. No one is born a superstar speaker, but if you start investing in yourself and making a change, you can, and we can. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to serve you as the club president. I am truly thankful and proud to be your club president this term. 

Special thanks to my dearest buddy Eddy, big brother Robin, Benny, and my current mentor Patricia for your kind encouragement all the time which pushed me to go even further, not forgetting the supportive team of exco this term, which makes everything possible. As I mentioned in my closing speech, this isn’t a goodbye, as I will still be in the club to show my full support all the time. 

We have completed the chapter 2019/2020 with a happy ending, and now, I shall pass the control to our young and ambitious incoming president. Over to you now, Eng Kein.


Cheers,
Sun Tsuey Miin
President of ITC Bintang Toastmasters Club 2019/2020


About ITC Bintang Toastmasters Club
ITC Bintang Toastmasters Club was chartered in 1987 and is one of the oldest Toastmasters clubs in Kuala Lumpur. The club hold meetings on every first, third, and fifth Wednesday of the month at Hotel Istana, Jalan Raja Chulan, Kuala Lumpur. The club started conducting online meetings since Movement Control Order (MCO) by the government in early March 2020. 

Please contact any of the club excos (contacts as display on the right panel in the blog) or email us at itcbintang@gmail.com to join us!


Image may contain: 1 person, indoor



When we used to have physical meetings

Meeting at Hotel Istana, Jalan Raja Chulan

Back to School Theme Meeting with the fiery teacher

Our mamak session after each club meeting 

Chinese New Year Gala Night 2020

Celebrating Chinese New Year with the team

Dark Meeting Experience in 2019 (after light was turned on)
Click here to read more about the Dark Meeting

With these fun people

Sometimes we go for drinks 

With the Organising team of Youth Leadership Program (YLP) 2020

With the students from Sunway TES

Virtual Meeting doesn't stop us from going vacation! We had beach meeting!

Organising team of The Effective Speaker Series (TES) during Movement Control Order

Last meeting of the term 2019/2020



Comments