Virtual Meetings --Yay or Nay?

Due to COVID 2020 outbreak, Malaysian government had announced a movement control order, limiting some interdistrict and interstate travels. There were also a lot of guidelines and restrictions on gatherings. As a result of this, toastmasters meeting had to be moved online.

My first time joining an online Toastmasters meeting was a completely different experience. I wouldn’t say I enjoy it or did not enjoy it, it was just a completely different beast!

The nice thing about online meetings is that you save time on commute and no parking fees! (yay!). With all of the cool Zoom features, we were able to put together “creative” themes by switching our zoom backgrounds, having a music in the background and even using cool visual aids!

We have even adapted to having timers and grammarian share their screen instead of just reading out the reports. I think virtual meetings have challenged us to think more critically and squeeze out our creative juices!



Since most offices switched to a work-from-home mode, a lot of my meetings were conducted virtually. The practice and learning I get from virtual Toastmasters were super helpful! For instance, I learned that for online presentations, it is important to look at the cameras as a form of “visual eye contact”.

In a way, I really miss the social interactions during in-person meetings. For someone who enjoys a more private conversation with just a handful of people, being thrown in a group of 20-30 in a Zoom room can be a tad overwhelming. Oh, and how can we forget everyone's favourite fried Mee Hoon at Istana Hotel? I’m pretty sure all of us miss that! 

Although I still miss walking in Hotel Istana on Wednesday nights, I really appreciate the benefits of online meetings and embrace the change!


Stay safe and take care!



Join us for our next virtual meeting on 19th Nov 2020, 7pm!

ITC Bintang Toastmasters Club meets on every 1st, 3rd and 5th Wednesday of the month. Follow our Facebook and Instagram @itcbintangtm for more updates.



Ainaa Najihah
Secretary of ITC Bintang Toastmasters Club 2020/2021

Comments